This isn't news to me, and frankly I've been trying to retool my buying philosophy and shopping approach for ages: only buy what I love, don't purchase pieces that are similar to things I already own, strive for statement and investment pieces rather than overtly trendy or throw-away pieces. And on top of that, I'm constantly thinking of the consequences of what I buy and how I purchase - down to the bag I take them home with.
That said, I've been somewhat inspired by the recent surge of fashion diets- especially 6 Items or Less and The Uniform Project. Is it at all possible for me to whittle down my expansive wardrobe to only 6 items? How? What makes the cut?
I'm not ready to commit myself to consumer abstinence, but for the hell of it I've picked 6 essential pieces that I couldn't live without.
1. Cheap Monday Dress. I've shared this dress before, but the amount of use I've gotten out of this dress in the relatively short amount of time that I've had it is pretty impressive. It transitions easily from day to night and still stands out on it's own. It's an everyday take on the LBD. Purchased via Convent NYC.
2. Jeans. This is probably super predictable. My favorite jeans of all time are black Levi's 531s, a jean so good I even turned my masculine partner onto them. They're insanely comfortable, and are even part of Levi's sustainable range of denim, (natural dyes and fiber). They've been so well worn and loved that they're ridden with holes. Lately, though, I've caught the "jegging" bug and have worn a pair from ASOS relentlessly.
3. American Apparel Sexuali-tee by Sebastian Tellier. This shirt is my uniform. It's super soft, lightweight, ridiculously oversized, and endlessly versatile. I have worn it as a dress, belted and flouncy with pants, over leggings, tucked in to a high-waisted skirt... It's a t-shirt, but maybe the perfect t-shirt for me. No longer available, but similar available here.
4. American Apparel Pencil Skirt. This one is self explanatory. This is one of those things I buy multiples of because it's just so easy. Even though it's made of thick jersey fabric, with the right shoes and accessories, it can pass for being surprisingly dressy. Available here.
5. Statement Jacket. I'm pretty big on having a finishing layer. Less so in this weather, but I can't tell you how anxious I am for the temperature to drop a bit so I can resume my usual outfitting. A great leather jacket is my true staple, but I'm ready to put this jersey blazer I picked up at Topshop into heavy rotation. Available here.
6. Something Sparkly. This Proenza Schouler Sequin top is one of my trophy items. I watched it from afar for months before finally buying it from Kirna Zabete when it hit their clearance sale AND I was able to redeem a $50 discount code. Even though it's bold, it's easy to pair with dark jeans or a skirt.
What 6 items would you pick? If you have a similar addiction, do you think you could put yourself on a highly restricted fashion diet?