In just over a week, I'll be celebrating yet another birthday. Somehow, I've sped through almost 28-years of my life - years that have seen me through multiple evolutions and awkward phases and Madonna-scale style transformations, and that I've begun welcoming with my yearly wish list, which could just as well serve as a testament to my insanity. The not-so-distant future is full of some major, exciting milestones: I'm launching my first fashion collection in the fall (yes! It's true!), I'm working on a book filled with hilarious and embarrassing stories that I will publish, and I'm getting married to someone that I know, without a doubt, is the love of my life and my person. I could cheat and add all three of these major life events to my 30-before-30 list - knocking out a solid 10%... but I won't. While I'm doing pretty well in checking off normative life passages from the massive list of things-that-are-expected-of-us-by-a-certain-age (and that, by the way, I think are BS), I've been thinking a lot about the things that don't fall within the list of expectations - the events and interests that make me the person I am, but have somehow fallen by the wayside. These aren't resolutions, or overall life goals: just a short-term bucket list of things I don't want to keep postponing!
2. Meet my extended family in England.
3. Visit Iceland; swim in the Blue Lagoon.
4. Take a Burlesque class.
5. Volunteer for Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign.
6. Read the 100 Best Novels. Fortunately, I have a head start.
7. Take a hike in the Hudson Valley.
8. Bake the perfect (gluten-free) Princess Cake.
9. Go on a weekend trip with my closest friends -
even if it's just an hour outside the city.
10. Learn my way around a toolbox;
it's called a "Phillips Head," not "the thing with four things."
Even though I hate baseball.
13. Go Skydiving.
(I'll save this for after the wedding. We already put down a deposit, after all).
14. Visit Charleston, South Carolina.
15. Become fluent in French.
16. Get certified in CPR.
17. Take a helicopter tour of Manhattan.
18. See Beyoncé live.
19. Tour a Frank Lloyd Wright building in person.
20. Take a swing dancing class.
21. Go to Napa Valley and learn anything about wine.
22. Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge.
23. Visit the "new" Downtown LA and go on an art walk.
24. Go to a hot air balloon festival.
26. Make a bespoke fragrance.
27. "Live" in a city that's not New York or LA for at least a month.
28. Try 10 completely new-to-me recipes, and blog about them.
29. Take an improv class. I can be funny, right?
30. See a performance at the Disney Concert Hall in LA.